Lansdowne Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library

Services   |   History

MTA Bus Transportation Information


Contact Information





Wheelchair accessible symbol.

500 Third Avenue
Lansdowne, Maryland 21227-3218


  • Telephone: 410-887-5602


  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events



See More Events...  



In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:



About This Branch


A small library was built by Baltimore County on Third Avenue in 1966. In 1993 the Lansdowne Library was closed due to budget cutbacks. In 2006 the new Lansdowne Library re-opened to the public.



About This Community


In the late 1800's the Whitaker Iron Co. mined for ore in Lansdowne. Abandoned pits from the mining were filled by underground springs creating small ponds and lakes. Lansdowne was mostly farmland including the Kessler farm, MacLeod farm and Wades farm.


When the railroad came, Lansdowne became known as a B&O town. Most people worked for B&O, commuting by train to Baltimore City. The first station was named Coursey Station. The Coursey Station senior housing center takes its name from this.


The two main roads were Hammonds Ferry Road and Hollins Ferry Road, both of which led to the Patapsco River where you could take a ferry across to the other side.



Additional Information


BCPL's collection contains materials on Lansdowne. Additional information about the Lansdowne community can be found on the websites for Lansdowne High School, Lansdowne-Baltimore Highlands Senior Center and the Baltimore Highlands-Lansdowne Health Center.



Revised: March 12, 2018